By Georgette Weir, contributing editor
In October, nine acres, a new parking lot, and short trail extension built by the Trail Conference’s Taconics Crew were added to Hudson Highlands State Park’s historic North/South Redoubt section along Snake Hill Road in Garrison. Land preservationists and state park and Dept. of Environmental Conservation officials celebrated the occasion with a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony before sitting down to a meeting about other conservation priorities.
The land was donated to the Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation (OPRHP) by Winter Hill LLC, which also built the new parking area. OPRHP Deputy Commissioner Carol Clark and Winter Hill’s Chris Buck signed the official papers transferring ownership at the event.
With a short and quick climb from the new parking area on a red-blazed trail to the North Redoubt, hikers can get a nice view north over the Hudson River—especially with the leaves off the trees. A longer, but still relatively short, hike to the higher South Redoubt winds through bits of Garrison School Forest.
The trails to the South Redoubt are in the process of being reworked and reblazed by the Garrison School, which maintains all the trails in this area of the park. Already, there are differences in blaze colors between the latest 2014 edition of East Hudson map #101 and what you will find on site.
The South Redoubt features a kiosk with information about the Revolution-era history of the redoubts, fortifications built in 1779 with the intent of delaying or stopping British advances on West Point. At both North and South Redoubt, evidence of the now buried fortifications is obvious.