On Tuesday, February 5, 2013, representatives from the Trail Conference, including Executive Director Ed Goodell and Senior Program Coordinator Jeff Senterman, the Catskill Center, and the Catskill Mountain Club, visited with members of the New York State Legislature and the Executive Officers from the Dept. of Environmental Conservation (DEC) to raise awareness of issues surrounding the Catskill Park.
Twelve of us urged officials to move forward on a number of issues identified as important to the health of the outdoor recreation-based economy in the region:
- creating a new recreational plan for the park,
- constructing the long-promised Catskill Interpretive Center,
- encouraging NYS Dept. of Transportation to continue its signage program in the park,
- promoting transfer of some New York City lands to the Forest Preserve,
- pressing DEC to release a long-planned contract to increase volunteer efforts in the park,
- and requiring individual permit review should hydrofracking be allowed within the park.
This first Catskill Awareness Lobby Day in Albany went well and our groups look forward to growing the effort in the future.